Watch for Cars ... and Other Good Service Points

I didn't go to church last weekend. Nope, I wasn't on vacation. I wasn't sick. I wasn't even playing hookie. Our church closed. Thankfully, it's not a permanent condition. In fact it was probably the best church service we ever had. Over 2,000 members of the congregation were out serving during the weekend: painting homes, packing meals, and helping local schools. More projects that I can monitor were underway. It began a few weeks earlier when Mike Lee, our pastor, said "Service is not something that we do. It is something that we are."

Service is what we as Realtors are all about. With scheduled inspections, showings by the dozen, office meetings, lender calls, and prospecting every day and every minute, it is easy to let the vision for service cloud. "I am so tired", "I worked so hard today", "You wouldn't believe what this client wants!" - These are all thoughts that we may use to summarize the day. From time to time, it is best to settle in with these questions as we look behind us at the completed day: "Who did I serve today?" and "How effective was my service?"

I often miss it, the service thing. I am frequently trying to get, rather than give. It is far from natural for me to be a servant. I really prefer to be served. I am not proud of it, but I swim in a culture that is all about consumption and I have an inner nature that asks, "What about me?!" It helps to be around others who do have the service gene and commitment.

Jim Garman owns several companies in the Triangle including Garman Homes (disclosure, I am affiliated with one of the others). Today Jim was telling me about his new contract for home buyers. He's all excited by the fact that the contract is written in every day language (his attorneys are not). He is wildly and passionately committed to making the experience great for the client. The focus is not on his company, profitability, or even the house. His ultimate measure is making the customer happy, pleased, and surprised in a positive direction. Delivering more than what is expected describes his approach to business. He's a servant.


I was walking through our office complex the other day and someone remarked about the communication in the pavement. The sign is in the sidewalk! A servant came up with the placement of this marker. Signs are supposed to be big and tall. But when one considers the needs of a pedestrian, where are they looking when they approach a curb? We look down. So let's put the sign where the audience is already looking. That's effective, thoughtful service.


Here are a few questions to help you make your service more thoughtful and effective this week:
  • What do my active clients want most this week? How can I make that happen for them? What's really bugging them?
  • When I make a prospecting call, what can I give away for free in my advice, encouragement, and by listening?
  • With social media, how can I affirm, encourage, support, or share?
  • At the office, who can I help for 15 minutes?
  • With my systems, what can I change or add to make my routines more meaningful to my clients?
  • How can I improve my printed communications to focus on the offer of benefits to the target audience?
Service is hard. It takes effort and evaluation to make sure that we are truly performing it, but when delivered, the results can be magical. May service be something that you are.

1 comment:

  1. Good words. Giving first is a slow but rewarding way to achieve results and it's really cool to observe someone who is doing it well. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete