Sink



Yoga continues to be a great exercise for me and a source of laughter. I really am not that good at it. I struggle with the poses, I struggle with staying in synch with my classmates, and I really struggle with keeping my balance. Yes, I have managed to fall off my floor level mat a few times. Regardless, I find that I love yoga. I am sore and tired after class, but it is the good fatigue that comes from making a genuine effort. I never knew you could work your muscles so hard from a series of a poses. I am doing something very different from my previous routines, and so my body reacts.

One of my current lessons from yoga is the word "practice." Yoga is not a sport at which we compete against others or the clock. It is a journey, a discovery, and a process. Therefore, we practice. Each session is a lesson with my body, and often the biggest challenge is the cerebral "muscle." For example, the lizard pose. When my instructor, David, first introduced me to this position, my initial reaction was "Huh?" followed by a sarcastic, "Yeah, right!" While most of my classmates could drop their forearms and their foreheads to the mat, I was struggling to just get balance with my arms extended and hands placed on the floor. But then a great insight came from my instructor, "With each exhale, let your body sink into the pose." Those words became my door from a trapped room. I began to make progress by sinking into the pose. When I find a difficult posture, I remain where I am and wait for my breathing to relax my body. Each breath allows me to sink into the pose a little bit farther. I have a long way to go to imitate the Lizard, but I continue to sink into it.


As we make your way into January, and find a bit of the new year's trail already behind us, it's easy to start releasing all the goals we set just a few weeks ago. Maybe we have missed a deadline or two already ( I know I have) and some frustration is beginning to irritate the spirit. Here's a suggestion, find a way to reset your intentions on that goal. Sink into it. Each day give your self a few minutes to address how you can ACT toward that achievement.  
  • What can I do today to make sure that I protect my prospecting time?
  • How can I make sure that I am on time for my family commitments?
  • What steps can I take toward engaging my prospect to make a decision this afternoon?  
These are questions that help us settle into the goals that really matter in building the business. Changes are difficult. They stretch us, often like a yoga pose. When you meet the resistance, realize it is a sign of progress and allow yourself a few moments to sink deeper into the position of success. Practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment