So What Do I Do With These Goals?



Okay, we all spent some time writing goals, resolutions, and commitments in late December.  What's the key to turning them into accomplishments instead of something we can only see in the rear view mirror?  Most of us tend to write goals in large-scale, for example: I want to achieve x production in sales, or lose a whole-lot of pounds.  The key to achievement is determining the steps we can perform today.  Consider your five priority goals for 2011.  Now let's think about what we can do TODAY toward achievement.

1. Physical : am I going to the gym this morning or taking a walk tonight?
2. Mental:  will I turn the TV off for 30 minutes tonight and replace that activity with an important book.
3. Spiritual: how will I engage with my church, synagogue, mosque or temple this week?  Is it on my calendar as an important appointment or just something I will try to fit in?
4. Relationship:  what important person in my life will I talk to with depth and listen to with intensity today?

These are examples to help you clarify your own steps.  The real challenge is not setting the goal but modifying our behavior.  Often we have to stop doing an activity that is detrimental and replace it with something that is productive.  Be specific, and manage the volume.  If you can execute one or two new behaviors daily, you will have made huge strides at the end of 2011.  Then you can celebrate all those small steps that produced the completion of a a very big goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment