That Something Special

Ever seen a great agent in a public place?   In a restaurant, at a sporting event, or at a charity function, they magnetically draw people and conversations.  It can be intimidating.  I know I have asked the question, "How am I supposed to compete with that?"  What we are witnessing is the combination of confidence and charisma.  The mistake we can make is concluding that some people have it, and some don't.  Wrong.  You are a charismatic person, you just have to make the decision to let it out.  Great agents do have a radiance, a celebrity, and a confidence that opens doors of opportunities.  Here's a few thoughts to help you open that very same lock:

1. Be True to Your Self:  charisma is not about being someone else; it is about being authentically you.  Know, accept, and present yourself the way you like to be.  We all have a meter that registers "phony" and none of us like to detect it.  Take a temperament test and give some time and thought to why you are the way you are.  Then be that way. People are drawn to those who are real, genuine, and comfortable with themselves.

2. Competence Generates Confidence:  As a young adult, I hated to go to parties.  Didn't know what to say, where to stand, or when to enter and exit conversations.  Even worse, I am an introvert so the whole experience just drained me.  I could choose to avoid these events, but through encouragement from loving people, I instead embraced competence.  I kept going, and worked at it. I watched better people work them room and I embraced skills to help me engage others.  Today, I can work a room with the best of them.  Simply because I learned and practiced.  Each of us have weaknesses that inhibit us professionally.  Embrace the importance of that task and grow your confidence through study and practice.

3. Be Happy:  Humans are drawn to energy, joy, and warmth.  Charisma is the overflow of joy.  Our personal relationships, our connection with work, and our spiritual lives all impact the level of inner joy that we have available to share with others.  Demonstrate happiness by consciously  smiling, being physically energetic, and demonstrating body language that welcomes people in your direction.

3. Dress Well:  Stop. I didn't say expensive or fancy or untrue-to-your-inner-hippy-values.  If jeans are what make you feel great, wear them.  If you operate best in an a-line dress, put it on.  The key is that your clothes are neat, fit properly, and speak what you intend.  My baseball cap, sandals and shorts scream "off-work, weekend time!"  We must accept that fashion communicates.  If you want to be taken seriously, then dress in a way that will communicate that to your audience. Invest time and more importantly, thought, into your wardrobe.  Colors and cuts that accentuate your body contribute to the charisma factor.

Okay, so we've explored some basics of great real estate agents: systems, calendars, prospecting, and charisma.  Let's keep working at it, and I will look for you at the center of the room at the next big party.

No comments:

Post a Comment